Teachers are by far one of the most important professions in the United States and play a vital role in the country’s economy. If you research the Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs) for most individual U.S. cities, which include budgets, projections, as well as the major employers in the city, you will almost invariably find that the local school district or districts are always among the top -10 employers on their lists. And yet, for all their central importance, teachers are notoriously underpaid compared to their significant influence on the education and care of our children in preparation for the future.
Here, we’ll focus on elementary school teacher salaries in the United States, going from state to state to compare and contrast the average teacher salary in each location. Use of Latest data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for 2020 and then analyze and organize the annual wages, we have created a list so that you can find out where elementary school teachers earn the most and where the least in 2020.
10 states where elementary school teachers make the most money
According to BLS, the average annual wage for an elementary school teacher without special education is $ 63,930, which is above $ 53,490, the average annual wage for all professions. It is natural for teachers’ salaries to vary by location, with some states having higher average salaries than others. For example, the highest paying state for elementary school teachers has an average salary that is $ 18,900 above the national average, while the worst paying state has an average salary that is $ 19,870 below the national average. However, these swings from the US average are actually significantly better than other professions, which in the best states can often boast salaries nearly $ 100,000 above their national rate.
Here’s a breakdown of the top 10 states where elementary school teachers make the most money, on average:
- Average salary for a primary school teacher in New York: $ 82,830
- Average Salary for a Elementary School Teacher in California: $ 82,560
- Average salary for a primary school teacher in Massachusetts: $ 82,450
- Average Connecticut Elementary School Teacher Salary: $ 78,070
- Average Salary for a primary school teacher in Alaska: $ 75,860
- Average salary for elementary school teacher in Maryland: $ 75,380
- Average salary for a primary school teacher in Rhode Island: $ 72,310
- Average salary for a New Jersey elementary school teacher: $ 71,880
- Oregon Average Elementary School Teacher Salary: $ 69,980
- Average Elementary School Teacher Salary in Virginia: $ 69,690
The best states where elementary school teachers make the most money are a mix of ancient east coast states – New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and Virginia – and west coast states – California, Alaska, and Oregon. Oregon is perhaps the most impressive of these top 10, as its average elementary school teacher salary has increased 23% over the past five years: from $ 56,890 in 2014 to $ 69,980 in 2019. No. 6 Maryland isn’t far too well, with the average teacher’s salary increasing by 19.6% over the same period. # 2 in California and # 3 in Massachusetts followed suit, and both saw elementary school teacher salaries rise 18% since 2014.
10 states where elementary school teachers make the least money
Here’s a breakdown of the bottom 10 states where elementary school teachers make the least amount of money, on average:
- Average salary for a Mississippi elementary school teacher: $ 44,060
- Average salary for a primary school teacher in South Dakota: $ 44,110
- Average Elementary School Teacher Salary in West Virginia: $ 45,390
- Average salary as a primary school teacher in Arizona: $ 45,600
- Oklahoma Average Elementary School Teacher Salary: $ 45,970
- Average Elementary School Teacher Salary in North Carolina: $ 48,560
- Average Salary for a Elementary School teacher in Louisiana: $ 48,630
- Average salary for a primary school teacher in Arkansas: $ 48,800
- Average salary for a primary school teacher in Idaho: $ 48,880
- Average salary for a primary school teacher in Alabama: $ 50,270
The states where elementary school teachers earn the least are in the Midwest and Southern regions, although Idaho and Arizona are in the West region. Fortunately, many of these states are seeing increases in elementary school teacher salaries, although not as much as in the top ten highest paid states. North Carolina, for example, saw an impressive 14.4% increase from an average teacher salary of $ 42,440 in 2014 to $ 48,560 in 2019. However, in one state, West Virginia, elementary school teacher wages have dropped by 0, 7% decreased period.
That is how much primary school teachers earn in every federal state
Below is the full breakdown of the average salary of elementary school teachers in all 50 states from 2014 to 2019, and the percentage change over time.