WASHINGTON (FOX 5 DC) – FOX 5 has learned that several government agencies, not just DC Police, have been warned of potential gun violence outside the southeast DC BBQ party that ended in a Mass shooting early Sunday morning.
In part of an email reported to FOX 5, 6th District Commander Durriyyah M. Habeebullah wrote, “A social media party is planned for August 6 at Block 3300 of Dubois Street SE. If you are familiar with the sponsor, please report as these events are prone to gun violence. “
The email contained the social media flyer announcing a “5th Annual Cookout” for Saturday, August 8th, at 3301 Dubois PL SE.
Several entities, including several MPD members, the head of the DC’s Office of Neighborhood Safety and Engagement (ONSE), DCRA, Ward 7 Council Member Vincent Gray and even the Department of Youth Services were all among the officers and entities on Commander. Habeebullah’s warning should be copied.
The email goes on to say, “We will monitor addressing and try, but we are being asked for additional assistance from our partners to help the community.”
A DC official says this is a regular note informing certain officials of known gatherings scheduled for the weekend. The information appears to have been collected by MPD’s Homeland Security Bureau.
On Monday, DC Police Chief Peter Newsham told reporters that his department is now investigating why no assistance has been called to help officers safely break up the illegal gathering.
On Sunday, August 9, at around 12:20 p.m., shots were fired after hundreds of people gathered for a barbecue evening planned via social media, police said. A total of 22 people were shot dead, including a seriously injured off-duty police officer and a 17-year-old father who was killed.
City officials confirmed the gathering is in violation of DC’s COVID-19 restrictions.
DC Mayor Muriel Bowser confirmed that there was also illegal public alcohol and drug use at the event.
At a press conference Monday Mayor Bowser described the situation as “urgent” and described gun violence as “truly reckless” behavior, but did not address any new plans to combat the increase in violence this year.
On Monday, FOX 5 learned that nearly 30 9-1-1 calls had been made to complain about the gathering, beginning around 9 p.m. Saturday night and at least three hours before gunfire was fired at around 12:20 p.m.
DC Police say more than 100 shots were fired.
FOX 5 spoke to the 17-year-old victim’s family on Friday to learn where they stand with the mayor and police chief after Monday’s press conference.
“We want to know why? Why wasn’t this broken when you put those commands out of here? You have the mandate to do this. You in the position to do that. Why not? Said one of the victim’s cousin, 17-year-old Christopher Brown.
Last week, the reward for any information leading to an arrest was increased to $ 75,000.
Police officers tell FOX 5 that they still need community help to identify one of the four suspects who started fire on the crowd.