Accused Sugar Rush engraver appears in court in Laredo this week


The man arrested in connection with the Sugar Rush Partyland shooting that left one dead and five injured will appear in court for the first time this week.

Anthony Tays Jr., 18, was charged with arrest warrants on April 6 of one case of murder and five cases of grievous assault with a lethal weapon.

He is due to hold a habeas corpus hearing on Thursday in the 406th District Court, chaired by 341st District Court judge Beckie Palomo.

Around 5 a.m. on April 5, Laredo police responded to a shooting at 4502 McPherson Road in which they encountered five injured men aged 23, 25, 26, 29 and 31 years old. All were taken to different hospitals for treatment.

A sixth man, identified as Jaime Leal Rodriguez, 22, was taken to Laredo Medical Center in a private vehicle. After arriving at LMC, he died of his injuries. His death was recorded as the third murder in the city that year.

“Investigators were able to determine that Tays was the attacker who injured the (five) victims and seriously injured Mr. Rodriguez. Preliminary results suggest the victims were stabbed to death during a knife attack by Tays, “LPD said in a statement. “The investigation also revealed that Herrera had fired a gun several times in the lobby. The preliminary results do not suggest that the victims were injured by gunfire. “

Investigators presented their findings on the case to the Webb County Prosecutor’s Office. Authorities gathered enough evidence to secure the arrest warrants for Tays and Herrera. The police pointed out that this incident was not a random act of violence, but an argument that escalated to violence among known acquaintances.

Tays remains behind bars in the Webb County Jail.

Three more murders

In addition to Tays, three murders are on the program for Wednesday.

In the 341st District Court, Kevin Costilla, 20, is due for a final pre-trial hearing. He is alleged to have fatally shot Victoria “Vicky” Mireles, 16, in the back of the head as she claimed self-defense after allegedly leading him to steal his cell phone.

The case was cleared on March 30, 2020 at around 9:38 pm when police officers responded to a report of “a female shot” in the 4000 block on Totem Pole Lane. First officials at the scene discovered Mireles, who was lying face down with a gunshot wound to the back of the head, the records say.

Witnesses identified the shooter as “Kevin Castillo or Kevin Castro”.

Moises David Robles is pending a status hearing in the 49th District Court. According to online court records, Robles is charged with murder and escape while in arrest.

In April 2018, Robles was charged with the murder of Juan Ricardo Muñoz, 19, on the 500 block of North Stone Avenue in a small unit across from the train tracks.

LPD officials responded to the shooting at Stone around 1:30 a.m.

In one apartment they found Muñoz with a single gunshot wound in the chest on the floor, the Laredo fire department announced.

LPD detectives took over the investigation and developed information that identified Robles as a suspect, Laredo police said.

“The suspect and the victim were known to each other,” said LPD.

It is unclear why Robles allegedly shot Muñoz.

Robert Thomas de Leon is on trial in 111th District Court after he was accused of fatally shooting David Arnulfo Morales, 33, for going to de Leon’s estate to look for a woman from whom Morales was born alleged she owed him sex, the arrest reads affidavit. De Leon reportedly shot Morales twice after Morales refused to leave de Leon’s property.

Court documents state that Morales was unarmed and that de Leon was licensed to carry a handgun.

De Leon was arrested on October 4th and charged with murder. The next day, for no probable reason, according to the county jail record, he was released untied by Associate Judge David Garcia.

At 1:18 am on October 4, a woman called the police to report “concern about the matter” in a house on the 3900 block on San Agustin Avenue. She said that a man had arrived at her home and was refusing to go on vacation. According to the police, the caller then heard two shots in the background.

Moments later, de Leon spoke to the caller and asked for an ambulance as he said he had shot the man who was bothering him. De Leon identified himself as the homeowner, adding that the man went to his house for the second time that day to disturb, the affidavit said.

According to court documents, De Leon was instructed to properly secure the weapon for his safety. The first officers at the scene found an injured man, later identified as Morales, outside the home. Police then approached de Leon, who had his gun locked on his dining table.


Comments are closed.